go welcome page  

Circle Genealogic and Historic Champanellois

Association "Law 1901" of Saint-Genès-Champanelle, 63 , France

go patrimony page

History of the village of Fontfreyde

FONTFREYDE, village, commune de Saint-Genès-Champanelle. Fief. Il y a eu une famille ce nom qui a donné plusieurs conseillers à la cour des aides de Montferrand et de Clermont, de 1557 à 1697, et dont nous avons donné la généalogie dans notre Histoire de Clermont-Ferrand, t.II, p. 235. Pierre de Citernes était seigneur de Teix et de Fontfreyde en 1662; il eut: Etienne, seigneur de Teix et de Fontfreyde en 1670, président à la cour des aides de Clermont (1667); Pierre, fils de ce dernier; fut aussi seigneur de Fontfreyde, Teix, et mourut en 1733 ; il laissa Nicolas-François seigneur de Fontfreyde, Teix, mort en 1754.
FONTFREYDE, hameau, commune de Saint-Genès-Champanelle. Presqu'à l'issue du tunnel servant à la route, on a trouvé des amphores, des tuiles à rebord, de la poterie rouge; le tout servait à une sépulture gallo-romaine.

V. Voies romaines en Auvergne, par P. MATHIEU.

extract of Grand dictionnaire historique du département du Puy-de-Dôme of Ambroise TARDIEU, 1877.


In the past, stone quarries of Volvic [of basalt] were exploited
in Fontfreyde, by inhabitants of the village and even stone masons coming from the departement of Creuse.


view of the last
stone masons
of Fontfreyde
old postcard
of the great quarry

view of the "cheire"
of Fontfreyde
old postcard
of a quarry
in Volvic
view of the "cheire"
of Fontfreyde

* [ see the page about the quarries of Fontfreyde ] *

The National Road #89

the old relay
the RN89
the tunnel side Fontfreyde
the tunnel side La Cassière
Once, the trunk road passed close to the village of Fontfreyde then went towards the village of la Cassière by borrowing a tunnel today unused. A relay thrives formerly remains like witness of this disappeared past. Nature takes again little by little the top on the old abandonned roadway.
The oldest quotation of the tunnel which we could find to date is in the map of the Circuit d'Auvergne that the MICHELIN company had distribued gracefully to the spectators at the time of the Gordon-Benett cup in 1905. One finds the presence of this tunnel which thus had to be built at the end of the 19th century at the latest.

Rocks of the way of "pré de lait"

Located under the main road RN89, these large rocks of granite were the subject ofthe production of a postcard.

One of the rocks has the shape ofa chair, it could be well the chair of the devil about which Doctor Pommerole in 19th century speaks.
the rocks

view #1

the rocks

view #2

The old room of the firemen of Fontfreyde

view of the room
ofthe old
fire pump

last update on August 23, 2002

*  [ back to the history of the villages ] * [ back to the patrimony page ] *

* [ see the old postcards of Fontfreyde ] *

* [ back to the welcome page ] * [ back to the good answers ]*


listed crosses 59
old postcards of the commune 153
old postcards except commune 47
old postcards of Puy de Dôme 118
associations listed on the commune 186
Gordon Bennett Cup 74


go welcome page  

go patrimony page


Election of the town-council of March 25, 2020

Results of the european elections of May 26, 2019


All rights reserved - © - 1999 - 2020 - Design & realization Bruno FUNGENZI