Circle Genealogic and Historic Champanellois
Association "Law 1901" of Saint-Genès-Champanelle, 63 , France
History of the village of Laschamps
- collar of Moreno - les éliminatoires -
plain of Laschamps - Departure
The fire of september 17, 1865
|At the time
the men of the village were at the grape harvest in Beaumont, one
living of Laschamps, while cooking with the nut oil,
fire put at its tatched cottage. This one was propagated at the
surrounding houses and thus 45 houses out of 53
burned quickly. Only the church and a group of
houses at a little distance were not destroyed. During the
fire, the mayor Franck CHAUVASSAIGNE, showed
much courage and devotion. He carried help
to captive people in a cellar by boring
the ceiling but he could notintervene rather quickly to save them.
A subscription was made in Clermont-Ferrand which brought 15 000F of the time but the were than the tenth of the estimate damages. The emperor Napoléon III and his wife paid a sum, on their personal "cassette" in fvaour of the disaster victims.
The bishop of Clermont himself prolonged this subscription in the parishes of his diocese. It was the mayor CHAUVASSAIGNE who who occupied himself of distributing the helps and to make rebuild the village of Laschamps.
An inscription on a cross in frontof the church was affixed to thank him. He was re-elected many times mayor of Saint-Genès-Champanelle.
The plain of Laschamps
|This geograpical area,
practically located at the foot of Puy-de-Dôme, has several originalities. Like
said higher, it was useful for the departure of the
GORDON-BENNETT cup. But also, it was a place of
training for the French army as Orcines where
still a camp of training and shooting remains.
A different remarkable point is the fact thet there is a rather rare chraracteristic geological : an inversion of the terrestrial magnetism known by all the researchers geologists of the whole world. A very interesting article has been publisged in the review LA RECHERCHE of july-august 1988.
An old postcard represents the aviator BUISSON passing above a hangar where mention LASCHAMPS-AVIATION is registred. Another postcard shows the famous hangar. This one had been built in 1908 by the Aviation section of Automobile Club of Auvergne, Henri COTTE being its president at the time.
This ground of experimentation baptized "Ground BUISSON" will last to the Large War.
* pioneer inhabitant of Saint-Etienne of heaviest than the air (1833-1913).
Informations received from Mr Louis SAUGUE, president of the Association "Amis du vieux Clermont" and large collector of old postcards.
Laschamp or Laschamps ?
last update on october 27, 2001
|old postcards of the commune||153|
|old postcards except commune||47|
|old postcards of Puy de Dôme||118|
|associations listed on the commune||186|
|Gordon Bennett Cup||74|
All rights reserved - © - 1999 - 2020 - Design & realization Bruno FUNGENZI