Circle Genealogic and Historic Champanellois
Association "Law 1901" of Saint-Genès-Champanelle, 63 , France
Evolution of subscribers to
of Saint-Genès-Champanelle - period 1920-1974
|Before World War II, only one
minority of people could afford to have the
phone at home, less than 10 homes for one
population of about 300 households or a percentage
tiny 3%. Until 1939, these are the big families
bourgeoises, the squires, and a few
hoteliers who take advantage of this comfort.
After 1945, the small businesses that
develop in villages, cafés and hotels,
dairymen, bakers, butchers, then some craftsmen,
then the 2 summer camps, will increase the number
subscribers but few individuals among them.
In 1950, a public post appeared in Thèdes,
that is to say at a private individual who in exchange for
allow access to the public, did not pay a subscription.
|In 1954, a second public post was opened in
Chatrat, then another in Pardon in 1960, Beaune-le-Chaud
and Berzet will have theirs in 1973.
In 1971, a dental surgeon is reported to
Theix and it is only the following year that we find
a doctor based in Saint-Genès-Champanelle;
previously, from 1930 to 1960, there was a doctor from
Ceyrat who reported to the Champanelloises and
Champanellois, Doctor ATTAIX.
The town hall will have the telephone, number 10, after
the second world war.
(1st appearance noted from 1947).
Firefighters appear in the directory in
1972, but what were they called before? We called the
town hall, a resident told us, and this one was sending
We will have the number of the Romagnat gendarmerie
than in 1972 as well as the numbers of INRA employees
who settle in the Red Coast.
For 4 to 5 years, Father Bachelard, parish priest of
the parish will have number 11, from 1947 to 1950.
The Family Allowance colony set up
at the Château de Theix, will appear in 1954 and
that of the Children's Work in the Mountain in 1956,
in the pavilions that had housed prisoners
Russians at the end of World War II.
In 1954, pharmacists appeared in Theix
with the number 20.
The Center for Zootechnical Research and
Veterinarians has an issue in 1968.
In 1960, the Compagnie Sablière de la Seine
begins the exploitation of a quarry at Puy de la
Vache since she gets number 24.
The Fontfreyde quarries are already marked
in 1912 in the new directory of Puy-de-Dôme but not
don't feel the need to have the phone.
Between 1958 and 1960, the gas station of
Monsieur Mijoint in Theix obtains number 13. A
Manson, begin mining a quarry that will have
In 1960, only 4 subscribers out of 30 did not
reference to their professional activity in their
listing in the directory. These 30 followers don't
represent all the same in 1960 than of the population.
From 1922 and at least until 1960 appears in
the General Directory of the Center a public display,
private entrepreneur, whose profession today
replaced by the big billboard companies, was
to organize public postings in the villages of the
common, according to the request of customers wishing to make
the advertisement. This posting was subject to a tax
municipal, and a stamp on the displays allowed
to control the payment.
The year 1968 is fatal to wheelwrights, farriers
and teachers which disappear from the General Directory of the Centre.
In 1969, the great revolution was the appearance of 6-digit numbers
automatic telephone: no need for switchboard
now except to Manson who will not switch in
the automatic only 3 years later in 1972, the year the
number of subscribers will increase to 66 to reach 91 in
1973. The democratization of the telephone began to
be a reality, estimating an average of 4
people per household, we go up to about 25% of households
owning the phone in 1973 and
maybe more, the average number of children having been
higher than 4 at that time.
Nowadays the mobile phone and the
communications via internet shuffled the cards and
we can no longer make statistics. These data come from
of different editions of the New Yearbook of
Puy-de-Dôme and the General Directory of the Centre. They
are of relative accuracy, their update being
irregular and non-exhaustive.
last update on July 02, 2022
* [ see page telephone directories 1912 to 1952 ] *
* [ back welcome page ] *
|old postcards of the commune||153|
|old postcards except commune||47|
|old postcards of Puy de Dôme||118|
|associations listed on the commune||186|
All right reserved - 1999 - 2023 - Design & Production Bruno FUNGENZI